Monday, September 1, 2008

can't we all just get along?

I never knew of it in any other way, until I moved to Idaho to go to school. It happened in an everyday-normal-conversation. Someone must have been giving directions.........

"Go down 12th, the street that runs near the school. After you go a few blocks, you'll see the building on the left, it's kittycorner from the bank."

KITTYCORNER. What?! I think I actually said that outloud at the time; I freaked out. I wouldn't doubt that I probably tried to make that person feel stupid for saying it that way, and probably looked them dead in the eyes and slowly pronounced "Kattycorner". It must be a Colorado thing, or a mid-western thing, because everyone at that table who was from Colorado, (ie: Ric) agreed with me, but everyone else, (ie: five other people) argued with us. This arguement lasted for four years off and on.

UNTIL

Yesterday, a great and wise guy named Rick, (different Rick, different spelling), said this....

"kittycorner is what you say when it's a small street, and kattycorner is what you say if it's a big or busy street," he said with a calm voice and steady eyes.

"what!? What do you mean?!" I yelled with wide eyes and a slight laugh.

"well, kitty's are small, and cats are big. So naturally kattycorner is for large streets."

"I think I love you," I said, "I'm going to blog about this, because I just got a blog, and I'm not sure what to say in it. This is perfect"

CASE CLOSED.

2 comments:

marc said...

Kitty.

katie said...

come on though, i'm pretty satisfied with that explanation.